[TriEmbed] Why *not* a Raspberry Pi ?

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Sep 11 17:08:03 CDT 2013

On 09/11/2013 12:50 PM, David Atoji wrote:
> I came across Arduino YÚN -what do think of this option?
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwHVeWADs2Y

Interesting. A recurrent conversation at TriEmbed meetings has been the
challenge of networking on Arduino systems, the cost and library
footprint, etc vs just using a Raspberry Pi. This YUN system is perfect,
it's just priced wrong by a factor of two :-) (What I mean is, if this
add-on card worked with a $30 Uno the combination would be the same as a
cost of a model B RPi. I should mention at this point that I'm not
religious about RPi except in regards to its charter being about
education and not making money. Whatever floats your boat.)

But being able to write a Python script in the Linux portion of this
system would be pretty convenient. The nicely refined wireless config
looks very interesting.  Keep a few things in mind for the Linux piece
of this system:
   1) MIPS is a niche chip these days, so don't expect to find a large
number of binary apps. Just about anything you can imagine being around
for current Debian/Ubuntu/Linux Mint is available for Raspberry Pi.
   2) Building binaries requires cross-tools, most likely on another
Linux machine.
   3) The memory resources are modest, so big apps won't fly. The ram is
1/16th as much as an RPi.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears this would have to be ordered
from Europe for the time being. Digikey, Mouser, and
Element14/Farnell/Newark are listed as distros by the Arduino folks, but
none of those three distributors show stock for this thing when searched
for as an "Arduino YUN"

While we're discussing very cheap ARM boards, here's one for $15:

http://www.newark.com/freescale-semiconductor/frdm-kl46z/dp/87W8000

In the datasheet <http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1728679.pdf> for
this board it mentions "Easy access to MCU I/O via Arduino ^(TM) R3
compatible I/O connectors." (Notice Newark is down to one (or probably
zero by the time you read this). They'll get 400 more on the 27th.) But
this is also a *very* modest system.

And here's another ARM-based eval board for $25 featuring Arduino
compatible shield connectors:

http://www.newark.com/cypress-semiconductor/cy8ckit-042/eval-brd-psoc-4-pioneer-kit/dp/69W7455?Ntt=PSoC+4+ARM

Finally, here's something for folks who just can't decide what to do but
have an extra $40. It can be a standalone ARM-based board, a bridge to
an Arduino shield, or a bridge between a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino shield:
http://www.newark.com/embest/embedded-pi/stm32-i-o-bridge-raspberry-pi-arduino/dp/67W2379?in_merch=Popular%20Products&in_merch=Popular%20Products&MER=PPSO_N_C_EverywhereElse_None