[TriEmbed] PBasic & Stamp

Jeff Highsmith jeff at jeffhighsmith.com
Mon Sep 9 10:19:04 CDT 2013

Brian,

My first significant robot programming was working my way through the Parallax BOE-Bot kit, which uses PBasic on the Basic Stamp II. I remember thinking at the time that PBasic looked easier than C, even though I'd taken a college class in C. After I finished working my way through the BOE-Bot book, though, I found myself limited by what I was able to do with PBasic. I took to the Arduino and haven't looked back since. It wasn't really the fault of PBasic, I suppose, it was more that it was easier to find examples for C and the Arduino.

In other words, I wouldn't be hesitant to use Arduinos, instead, if that makes setting up your software easier. The availability and reduced cost might make it more likely that parents would buy the kids their own hardware.

Parallax does make nice kits, though, and their factory manuals are great. You are welcome to borrow my Parallax Board of Education, if you'd like to experiment with it on Linux.

Jeff :)