[TriEmbed] Power Questions

Jim Carlson jbcarlso at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 24 10:36:11 CDT 2013

I have used two circuits for several years. The first is a buck-boost from
Linear Technologies. LTC3531. This is relatively efficient, and operates
from an input of 1.8v to 5.5v. Thus you can use it with several battery
combinations. I have used it with 4 "AA" as they rapidly discharge down to
the 1.35 range and the margin in the device will tolerate the over voltage
condition. I have also used it with to 2 "AAA".

If you want to add in a Li-Ion cell, I would suggest you use the Linear
Tech LTC4055. This will allow for recharge from either a USB or wall wart.
The output from this device feeds the LTC3531.

If interested in either of these solutions I have some personal boards laid
out to use them.

Jim Carlson

Thanks,
Jim Carlson