[TriEmbed] Power Questions

Jeff Highsmith jeff at jeffhighsmith.com
Thu Oct 24 09:59:34 CDT 2013

Chip,

If you could run the ATTiny84 directly from a battery (with a voltage
within the '84's specs), you wouldn't have to lose power as heat knocking
the 9V down to 5V.

Another way to save significant power would be to have the ATTiny use it's
low power modes. This won't be effective if there is still a linear
regulator in the circuit. If you had a sensor that acted like a switch or
had a digital output, you could have it wake the '84 upon sensing. The '84
could log a bike and go back to sleep. You would use the interrupts or even
the reset pin for this. A year or two ago, I made my sons' a traffic light
using three LEDs (green, yellow, red) in Radio Shack's smallest project
box. The circuit is just an ATTiny85 (maybe the low voltage version)